The EUC Bento Box is a monthly selection of relevant and interesting content, curated by yours truly, designed to be easily digestible as a way to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and developments in the EUC industry! Inside the bento box, you will find a variety of articles, blog posts, white papers, videos, best practice guides, and more. Each entry includes a short summary/description to help you maximize your learning with minimal reading! So, whether you're an EUC geek, a seasoned professional, or just starting out, we're sure the EUC Industry Bento Box has something for everyone.
Let's dive in!
Industry News & Insights:
Mary Mesaglio, Gartner Distinguished VP Analyst, and Don Scheibenreif, Gartner Distinguished VP Analyst, dive into key insights to help CxOs stay out in front of this new era of human-machine relationships and AI. This great session contains many real-world examples of how 'Everyday AI' is used today and what 'Game-changing AI' can do tomorrow. AI is about humans and machines and how they interact. Machines as a tool to machine as a teammate.
"By 2030, 80% of humans will engage with smart robots daily.”
We are moving from what machines can do for us to what machines can be for us.
“AI is the new machine and you're in a relationship with it”.
“AI isn't just an IT initiative; it is an enterprise business initiative”.
A great watch!
Chris Howard, Gartner Distinguished VP Analyst, shares Top10 strategic technology trends with 'Protect your investment', 'Rise of the builders', and 'Deliver the value' as the 3 main themes. These technological trends will help your organization build and protect itself while generating value. A great watch with a powerful structure to organize the top trends.
Bonus: This Gartner eBook, Top Strategic Technology Trends 2024 is a great read!
Regarding the rise of the builders, take a look at these Frame 3-min videos. I'll share what these videos have to do with building and IamAI in next month's Bento Box.
AWS is launching a new cloud for Europe, the AWS European Sovereign Cloud. It will be separate from AWS's existing regions and will only be operated by EU residents. This cloud is designed to help public sector organizations and highly regulated industries meet their data sovereignty needs.
I can see more sovereign clouds in different parts of the world, and different industries by different providers in the future. How that will impact your cloud-smart, multi-cloud strategy is a good question to think about.
Cloud computing is changing rapidly, and IT leaders are adapting their strategies to keep up. Here are some of the biggest trends:
- More spending on cloud services: Gartner predicts that worldwide public cloud spending will reach nearly $600 billion in 2023.
- More focus on business resilience: Businesses are using cloud computing to improve their ability to recover from disruptions.
- More use of data analytics and AI/ML: Cloud computing is making it easier for businesses to use data analytics and AI/ML to improve their operations.
- More investment in cybersecurity: As businesses move more of their data and applications to the cloud, they are investing more in cybersecurity to protect their assets.
- More focus on corporate sustainability: Businesses are using cloud computing to reduce their environmental impact.
This blog post will be updated weekly with new insights on cloud computing trends, statistics, and insights to help you make informed decisions in 2023. Every stat has a complementary visual slide available to download. A great read and good to bookmark it.
Over the past year, cyber threats have eroded trust in technology, emphasizing the need for stronger cyber defenses across the board.
Fortunately, defenders worldwide are stepping up their security efforts, with both public and private sectors investing and collaborating to tackle these challenges and build long-term resilience. In this fourth annual edition of the Microsoft Digital Defense Report, Microsoft leverages its unique perspective to share insights on the evolving threat landscape and discuss the shared opportunities and challenges we all face in securing a resilient online ecosystem that the world can rely on.
- Bonus! Innovation Unleashed: The Workspace 365 Story Podcast Erik Nikolai, co-founder of Workspace 365 talks about how Workspace 365 works, how remote work is changing, and how to manage international offices. They also talk about how to start a business, get feedback from customers, and build a strong remote team culture. This episode, hosted by Nargis Jafferali and Demos Demetriou is for startup founders, entrepreneurs, and anyone interested in innovation. Listen to learn about the future of work, get inspired to start your own business, and learn new ways to be innovative. A great listen!
For the Geeks
James Kingdon wrote an excellent blog post about his thoughts on Citrix Profile Management (CPM), Microsoft FSlogix Profiles, and where they make sense.
As I always say, "Friends don't let friends use folder redirection and roaming Windows user profiles.” Frame customers often use our 1-click Enterprise Profiles (EP) feature when user profile persistence is required. EP works great with and without Active Directory or Entra ID. Other Frame customers use Microsoft FSLogix. Wamt to know what the differences are and when to use one or the other? Check out the "User Profile" chapter in our Level 100 training class.
David Summers created and maintained the most complete and comprehensive Azure Visio stencils and PNG icon library. A must-bookmark URL for every IT Professional designing and working with Microsoft technologies.
The National Security Agency (NSA) and Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has released this joint cybersecurity advisory (CSA) to highlight the most common cybersecurity misconfigurations in large organizations and detail the tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) actors use to exploit these misconfigurations. The agencies identified the following 10 most common network misconfigurations:
- Default configurations of software and applications
- Improper separation of user/administrator privilege
- Insufficient internal network monitoring
- Lack of network segmentation
- Poor patch management
- Bypass of system access controls
- Weak or misconfigured multifactor authentication (MFA) methods
- Insufficient access control lists (ACLs) on network shares and services
- Poor credential hygiene
- Unrestricted code execution
A great read for everyone who is active or wants to be active in the IT security industry.
A short and quick but also important read from Douglas Brown about building communities, the value, and what it takes to build and maintain strong communities. Doug has a long history in building End User Computing communities, even before we used the term End User Computing. Certainly worth a read!
Does a rising tide lift all DaaS boats?! How is Frame different from Amazon, Citrix, Microsoft, and VMware Desktop as a Service (DaaS) solutions? Tune in if you want to know who the key DaaS players are, the pros/cons, and our honest and humble view about vendors such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Citrix, Dizzion Inc., Frame, Microsoft, and VMware.
“By 2026, 80% of desktop as a service (DaaS) organizations purchase will be vendor assembled or vendor-managed solutions, compared with fewer than 20% in 2023"
What does this mean for you, me, and all of us? These and other topics are addressed in the conversation I had with Yangzhi Zhao, VP of Product at Dizzion.
Want to take Frame on a free 12-hour test drive? Click here!
If you are active in the EUC community with any of the major IaaS-providers (e.g., Amazon, Citrix, Microsoft, Nutanix, VMware) and would like to use Frame for free for up to a year, reach out to me! I'll happily provide you with more details about the Frame Community Program.
Thanks for reading, if you have any questions feel free to contact me!